Sunday, February 18, 2007

My favorite thing about Puebla...

So, as you might know, we're spending a few weeks traveling around Mexico prior to moving to Casa Guatemala, the orphanage where we'll be working. We've got quite an list of places to visit. We started out on the coast, and then moved in. We spent a few days in a city called Puebla. Do yourself a favor and google it, look at some pictures. There are tons of these crazy gilded catholic churches. We even saw a wedding, complete with cutie patootie little girls holding up the train of the dress. And since it was a public church, we went inside for the ceremony! Crazy! Outside in the plaza there was a baby who had just been baptized, and the grownups were throwing coins for the kids to pick up. It was adorable. The city itself is really nice. All the streets and brick and the sidewalks stone. The travelers I'm travelling with said that it really reminded them of Spain, which makes a lot of sense since it is a colonial town. We left on Saterday, and there was a brass band playing in the zocalo, which I learned is just the term for the sort of central park. It's a useful thing to know because usually you can find banks and food around the zocalo.

All that being said, my favorite thing about Puebla was the walk signals. For don't walk, the little man is red. When it turns green, there's a coundown, and the little man is walking. It's animated. As the time ticks down, the man walks faster, so by the end the little man is jogging. Totally my favorite part of Puebla. That and there was a yarn store and I got some shiny brown yarn. Mixing up the familiar with the new. But mostly just sticking to the familiar.

It occurs to me that I've mostly been writing to myself, since I haven't actually told anyone where this blog is. So, I guess I'll go do that. Welcome!

3 comments:

Suzy said...

Yay Brown yarn and Yay for Leah blogging. MORE oh I should say MAS

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, finally a way to stalk you! Now, where are the pictures?

MylesNye said...

I looked at pictures but I prefer reading what you wrote. It allows me to see city through your eyes instead of those of Google image search. That's right, I like you more than Google. How far from the US Mexico border is Pueblo? I've been to Mexico a couple times but I would like to see the colonial city. -M.