Sunday, March 18, 2007

Pienso que me quedo aqui....

I left Hotel Backpacker at 5:45 this morning on a bus to Guatemala City. I traveled with a guy named Hernan who had lived at Casa for 8 monthes, and is now starting his own orphanage in San Salvador in El Salvador. He had an amazing time at Casa, and told me all about Christmas when one of the vols dressed as Santa and everyone stayed up late wrapping presents. It was really nice to hear such positive views of Casa, even though I didn't have the same experience.

The trip to Guate was shorter than I expected, and from there I caught a cab and then a chicken bus to Antigua. I have the worst sense of direction, and a walk that should have been five minutes wound up being forty five, and I wound up taking a cab because I just couldn't figure out where the hell I was. Silly. By the way, cobble stone streets are nice, just not in a three wheeled vehicle. Ouch.

It was great to see Cheka and Phoebe again. It felt like it had been months, not weeks. They've talked with other travelers who have had or heard about similarly not so great experiences at Casa. They also talked to travelers who have volunteered at some other organizations that are legit, and that really value their vols. So we will spend some time this week checking out organizations here and in Xela. I'm not going back to Casa. I'm making a clean break. And I feel positive about this decision.

Becky is coming down on Wednesday, and will be here for a week. We're just going to travel and relax, which is really what I need now. I took a hot shower for the first time in weeks, cut my nails, and used some anti piojo shampoo, just as a precautionary measure. I'm trying to get Casa out of my system, and move on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to hear that you are on the road again. A psychic told me that you needed to leave...

MylesNye said...

Rival Guatemala volunteer orphanages? That can only lead to rivalry, warfare, and bloodshed. Is a bloodshed like a tool shed?

Since I haven't read in so long and I don't know what happens now that you've reunited with Cheka and Phoeba, armed with new information about better places to volunteer, it is very suspenseful! This is like a cliffhanger! I shall keep reading.

Getting a taxi is sometimes like hiring someone to be smart for you when you feel dumb. I have done this. -M.