Friday, April 13, 2007

Guate, Guate!

While I personally use this word to refer to things that don't suck, it is also what is called out the doors of chicken buses on their way to Guatemala City, which is where I am. In Guatemala City. Not a chicken bus. Although that would be pretty cool too.

I didn't take a chicken bus here, I took a pullman bus. Is that what they're called in the states? I don't even know.

I am losing my english again, but only when talking about a few things, such as how long I have been here, why I am here, when I am leaving, and, for today only, why I am going to Guatemala City for less than a day. Pues, lo explico en espanol malo.

Llevo casi dos meses aqui. Estaba en Rio Dulce por tres semanas. Iba a ser voluntario en una casa de orfanos, pero me fui. No puedo explicar. Es complicado. Despues, pase una semana en Antigua, y dos semanas en Xela. Si, me gusta mucho.

Voy a Guate porque tengo que recoger (I'm not sure that's the right word...) una amiga que viene, y despues regresamos a Xela.

Now that I've gotten that out of my system...

For those of you who don't speak spanish, or who can't understand incorrect spanish, I am here in Guate to collect my girlfriend. Right now she has probably just stepped off the plane in Chicago, and will be here in just a few hours. It's unreal and amazing...

Today has been a fog bubble imaginary day. I've been floating around cooking oatmeal and fried rice, dropping off my laundry, and trying to set up a loom to weave on. I went to a panadaria today and only wanted some bread and instead got the life story of a woman whose boyfriend won't show her his house. I've relied on school children to help me cross the street. I feel a little like a puppy. It's kind of nice...

4 comments:

Lanibug said...

I don't know quite what you said in Spanish, but I don't think it's all the same stuff you said in English. So, what did we semi or non Spanish speakers miss?

Unknown said...

Creo que recoger es el palabra correcto. Pero es "huerfano" :) Estoy bien celosa de tus viajes, otra vez esta lloviendo y menos de 40 grados. Y otra vez estoy trabajando en un papel. Creo que debes quedarte alla, la vida de la estudiante de ley es demasiado aburrido. Y tambien si te quedes alla, te puedo visitar :) O, una cosa mas - nuca explicaste que es una papusa. Si todos que visitan Guatemala la tienen que probar, quiero saber que es para decidir si quiero ir a Guatemala!

MylesNye said...

Hardy har, we all speak Spanish. I assume you're talking about me. From the previous post I forgot to say: I've heard of ear WAX, but ear SNACKS?

Sounds like a lucky Friday the 13th! I won't expect to hear from you for a few days while you share the many Guate parts with your girlfriend. Say hi for me! -M.

Anonymous said...

Bueno! Bueno! Got most of the spanish, I think. 3 weeks in an orphanage but didn't like it. Too complicated to explain. Two weeks in Antiqua and one week in Xela. You liked it there. Now picking up girl friend and returning to Xela.
Naomi's post on the other hand...